Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Definition of the Types of Dates


Hey All,

Okay, now that I've done my civic duty to discuss the world events, back to the less serious things that I seem to talk about in this blog. I got an email a few days ago from a blog reader asking me about date ideas, because as we all know, there are many more things to do other than the old dinner/movie combination. So, I sat down with my pen and pad and started to think. Since there are so many different facets to dating, I've broken down my ideas into sections. Take from which section that fits your goal/aim with the person. Since I reside in Chicago, any examples I use to elaborate on them will be based on Chicago.  But before I give my date ideas, I figured I should use this blog to define the criteria in which I've classified them. The initials next to the type of date it is are those I will use in future reference.

First Date: FD
The first date is the date where you typically get to know someone. If you have not had a chance to get to know this person well enough to decide if you're attracted to them, then this date is the opportunity to do just that. Usually when I'm iffy about a person, I'll do the movie/dinner route, mainly because the movie is entertainment and having dinner after gives us something to talk about. However, while the movie/dinner, dinner/movie is very easy and can be fun, depending on both the movie and the company, it is the regular. Here are some of my suggestions to get to know someone at the introductory "I think I might like you but I'm not really sure yet" stage. Granted, there are different types of first dates, but these are specifically for those who maybe met their date through a friend and don't know them well.

Familiar Date: FAMD
Like first dates, but different in that the people know each other. Maybe they are friends, associates or work together. These dates can be just as awkward, if not more so than first dates, because if they go badly, unlike a date where the participants don't know each other, these two will be around each other again, because of their prior relationship. Unless they are friends and end it right there. (Which is not the desired result).

Second Date: SD
Obviously there was a first date and there was enough chemistry to warrant a second. Hopefully, there are feelings developing, but this date should want to amplify them. This date should be more casual than the first, but also allowing the people to connect on a deeper level.

Group Dates: GD
Not my personal favorite type of date, mainly because there are other people around, and if this is the first outing for anyone, there can be general awkwardness for everyone invovled. Bad group dates usually mean the people who know each other talk all through it, leaving the other two out of the conversation. If that happens, prepare for an excruciatingly boring evening.

Romantic Dates: RD
These are the dates you'd take if you want someone to make a move, such as taking things to the next step, physically. That may be a kiss or having sex, or anything in between. Usually occur somewhere between the third and the eighth date. I only say eighth because if the average couple goes on a date once a week, then after two months, if nothing physical has happened...it more than likely won't. If it's less than once a week, it DEFINITELY won't.

Short Term Relationship Dates: STRD
Dates for couples that are exclusive, but have not been together for more than a year. At that point in a relationship, there should still be some things you have not experienced, and memories are left to be created. There should be little to no problem in finding and creating passion, only just that there may be the feeling of being in a 'rut' because the people in the relationship feel as if their outings are the same things, over and over.

Long Term Relationship Dates: LTRD
Dates for couples that are exclusive, and have been together more than a year. Like most human connections, at this point love is in the equation or at least, a deep appreciation and respect. There may be problems in finding new ways to connect, and there may be ruts and other issues. The couple may or may not live together, creating a need for personal space. These dates should be a combination of romance, rekindling and reconnecting. If there are no problems, these dates are the chance for the couple to connect even further. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how u broke those into groups.check me and my sister blog out!

Ashley Robin said...

thanks.....i've got quite a lot of comments and thoughts on dating, and don't want folks getting confused.

Rehan said...

Sharukh Khan Net Worth