Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Pale Truth


Hey,

Yes, another post again....all during my Saw marathon. I love horror films, and like I have promised, I am working on a post about my view of the horror genre, since I've seen pretty much every film from Carrie to Pumpkinhead to Nightmare on Elm Street to Terror Train to Halloween to Prom Night to The Living Dead. I'm a horror fan, and the Saw series is definitely at the top of the list. 

Anyway, before I get into that, I got an email from one of the readers of my blog, asking me my opinion of the "Beyonce" controversy. Okay, so ordinarily, I don't really get caught up in celebrity drama, mainly because their drama is doing nothing to help my broke ass, LOL, but I had no idea what the reader was talking about. So, like I hope anyone would do when they didn't know something, I got online and looked it up.  In my 'research', I found out that Beyonce has been signed as a model for L'Oreal products since 2001. Now, in 2001, Beyonce was not Beyonce, she was still a member of Destiny's Child and while they were big, they had yet to crossover to mainstream music audiences. Now, some people say that her signing with L'Oreal came later, in 2003, but I'm not sure. Either way, she wasn't the superstar that she is now.



So why the blog about it? Well, because in the new picture that people are saying has been altered to make her skin look lighter, her skin tone resembles mine. And I know from seeing Beyonce in person that her skin tone is nowhere near mine. So, I do believe it was altered, unless the day I saw her, as well as days afterward, she had one helluva tan! It's sad that in 2008, with a African-American man running for the highest office in the land, with so many interracial couples of the world and babies being adopted into homes regardless of race, that companies feel that they have to go to such extremes just in order for someone to purchase their products. I mean, I like the colors of the L'Oreal HiP line, and I even own some. I think it was a waste of time trying to edit her skin to make it look lighter..people know who she is, she's Beyonce! Everyone knows she's black, it's not some huge secret. It should be embraced, and not mocked. I wonder what people would be saying if they made her darker. Would people be as shocked, even more shocked or asking to boycott L'Oreal. Rev. Al Sharpton would probably be talking about the "Beyonce Blackface" ad campaign...I can almost see it now. 

This picture to the left is a 'montage' of the ads that Beyonce has done for L'Oreal, from the earliest to the latest, left to right. There is a noticeable difference in her skin tone, that is undeniable. It seems as if as time passed and her popularity boomed, the skin tone in the ads got lighter. I want to know your thoughts about this though. Either comment here or mail me ashleyrobin@mac.com, and let me know. Saw I is almost at its infamous climax, so I gotta go watch that. Also if you want me to blog about something specific, contact me that way too. 

Love, Peace and Chicken Grease,

*Ashley Robin*

No comments: