Sunday, August 10, 2008

What is in the Water?

Hey everybody,

So I've named this blog "What is in the Water?" because I look up and over the course of the weekend, three people have died. The fact that people die is normal, but so many people and so quickly...it's baffling. There's gotta be something in the water..something that is taking these men before their time...and it is very sad. Now, I'm in Chicago, so I knew of Bernie Mac before he became Bernie Mac, I'd seen some of his live performances at local clubs and heard about him from older friends. From that, and being in the City of Wind, I knew a lot of people were so happy that he'd become something, were proud of his accomplishments and his sense of humility was so strong that he'd go hang out in the projects, on the street corner, all that. He'd told someone in a store that he didn't need security because even though he was in movies, he'd still f**k a n***a up if they came at him wrong. Which of course sent everyone into laughter. Chicago is truly mourning this guy, their hometown hero, and someone who gave them the idea that if he could succeed, so could they. It's sad because he was a young man, since 50 is the new 30, and was in his prime. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family, friends and those who truly loved him. Not his movies, but the father, the son and the true individual that he was outside of the tv shows, movies and radio spots. 

Now Issac Hayes. Damn! I just found out he had passed a few minutes ago, in between playing with the cats and watching Saw on the SciFi Channel. I'm always sad to hear of the passing of a musician, especially one of Hayes' stature. At this time, there is no known cause of his death, but he was found by a treadmill in his home. I would venture a guess and say with his age, 65, in combination with maybe not so great health, he could have had a heart attack or stroke. I am not a doctor, but it's a guess. 

The two men knew each other and were friendly, and now have each other to spend time with in heaven. I truly hope that they are in a better place, keeping an eye on all of us down here on earth. My condolences to their families, loved ones, children and other kinfolk. It's a sad thing to lose a loved one...especially way before their time, as was the case in both of these gentlemen.

Soul Men, you will be missed. Rest in Peace.
Bernard Jeffrey McCullough aka "Bernie Mac" (October 5, 1957-August 9, 2008)
Isaac Lee Hayes Jr. (August 20, 1942-August 10, 2008)

No comments: