Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Weird Day

Hey,

So I had probably the weirdest day ever, or at least in my top ten. I dropped my mom off at her office in the western suburbs, so I could run some errands, including a early morning appointment with the new gynecologist. Well, I get to my appointment, and of course, I'm a little weirded out because I found out the doctor is a man. I've never had a male gyno before, so I'm trying to deal with the fact that in a few minutes, some strange man will have his hands, face and instruments in and around my vagina. Wow. 

So, I get undressed, put on my paper gown and wait. The guy walks in, and he's cute. Like cute cute. That shocked me, because I was thinking the doctor was going to be some old man or some weirdo, but this guy looked like he could hang out with some of my friends. He tells me that I'm his first real patient out of med school, and I like the idea that my doctor has fresh eyes, is young and relevant. However, his youth and likability are made even more apparent to me during the course of this visit.

I don't really want to break down the steps of my visit, mainly because for the people who know me, I wouldn't want them to have that visual, and for those who don't....well, I'd rather not...but let's just say he was examining my lower half, while feet were in stirrups. He starts to converse with me about movies and what I do here in Chicago, basically asking where the hotspots are, and where I think he should go out for a drink. I recommend a few places and while he's examining me, I'm thinking how great this guy is in getting me comfortable and putting me at ease...when he says out of nowhere, "Are you doing anything this weekend?" Me, being normal Ashley and not thinking, I say, "No, not really..." He says, "Well, I'm thinking about going to see Pineapple Express...would you like to join me?" I don't really know what to say, but then he says quickly, "I know this is a weird way to ask, but trust me, its a friend thing." I told him, through my somewhat awkward feelings, that I'd have to call him and let him know. 

Leaving there, my boy who drove with me to go there was like, "I guess he saw something he liked!" I was laughing, but I started to wonder...at what point is is friendly banter...creepy? 

After that, I got back to my car, and after finishing my errands, I went back to pick my mom up..and this is where I had the other terrible event of the day...I got into my first car accident. I am very rattled, and I don't even want to drive, but I am unharmed.

Here's what happened. I was driving on the right side of the road in the furthest right hand lane, and there was a mini mall exit/entrance to the right of my car. Some guy in a wanna be DeLorean comes tearing out of the minimall and clips my side pretty hard, sending me into a spin. As I'm trying to regain control of the spin, which I do, I finally set myself right on the road. As Im thinking that I'm gravy, and trying to see where the car that clipped me went to, a car in front of me stops short and I rear end it. My front hood is bent, the air doesn't work in the car and the whole front bumper needs to be replaced. Not to mention the lights are bent inward, the hood won't close, and there's a weird noise from the engine. 

The guy who hit me left the scene before the police arrived, so they at first weren't convinced that he existed since the driver of the car I rear-ended did not see him...but there was a clear sign on impact on the side of the car where he hit me. However, in the case of my rear-ending, I am at fault for that. So, unfortunately, I'm screwed. I now have a 500 dollar deductible plus rental car fees that I need to pay before I can get the car fixed. Anyone hiring?

Dammit.

Ashley Robin

No comments: