Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Let's Be Straight Up For Once! I am...

Hey,

I've decided that I'm not gonna sit on my blog and lie about what my intentions are in terms of dating and mate searching. I want a guy who is willing and who wants to take care of me. There, I said it. And before everyone gets all up in arms about me being a girl digging for gold, giving me money is NOT what I mean. 
Wu-Tang said it best, "Cash rules everything around me/C.R.E.A.M. get the money/dolla dolla bills y'all"
I am not a gold-digger. I do not need someone to take care of me to the point where my life style changes, or that I'm dependent on a guy. When I say I want someone to take care of me, I mean that essentially chivalry, the very idea that my parents raised me on, is dead. I want to revive it, not only for myself, but for all the women of the world. When I say I want someone to take care of me, I mean that I want someone that knows more chance than not I won't be able to pay the bill if we go to some lavish place because of my school status so he'd not mind paying for me if necessary. He'd rub my feet after a hard day, to know when to bring me dragon maki rolls if I'm feeling down, to get me a Red Bull if I am on the verge of an all nighter, to open doors for me, to tell me I'm beautiful when my nose is red from blowing it, that I'm sexy when I'm bloated and that my worries are his. I guess I want a partner more than a boyfriend. That's what I mean when I say take care of me. Maybe that's too much for dating nowadays, but there are glimmers of hope. 

Today's MisAdventure is about this need that women say they have for a man with money. I was talking to a group of friends and I'm not going to say who, but pretty much all of them were saying that they needed a man to have money. When I asked what that means, they all looked at me as if I was speaking some language they did not understand. I asked again, "What does that mean?". Basically, I was informed that a man with money is needed because these women like "nice sh*t". But my question is, what are you bringing to the table? If a man is good looking, has a job, a car, a place and has money....he's bringing the "A" game. If you're struggling, just in school with no job, and staying at the parent's house while borrowing their car to get to and fro...what do you bring? Don't get it twisted, I'm all for a guy bringing things to the table, but let's be sure that you aren't just selling yourself to the highest bidder. It disgusts me that the world has become so focused on material, that they ignore substance. More worried about Benjamins instead of IQ points. Sad, sad, sad.

So, of course when I voiced that opinion, I was bullied and pretty much kicked out of the conversation...because I believe that relationships should start on equal footing. That the things that are lacking from one partner should be compensated by the other, and so forth. 

But conversely, I have to ask the question: Why are we as women afraid to demand what we want, and follow it? Why are we lowering our standards for the benefit of a relationship? What does that prove? It only allows more opportunity for heartbreak, emotional turmoil and DRAMA. Bitter feelings, ill will, resentment, all that can be a factor when settling in a relationship. However, in the world, how do we know if we are settling? How do we know if someone is not our equal? In my experience, I've tried to follow my gut and my instinct. I've tried to be as honest and open about what I want in a partner, and maybe that's why I'm single. Maybe my needs, and the needs of other women are so high...that we end up alone. Temporarily or permanently, but it will be and is by choice.

Thoughts?

*Ashley Robin*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

right on, funny there was a similar topic on Frank and Wanda in the morning here in atlanta.

Anonymous said...

good eve luv. there are some of us left, *smile. Just wanted u to know that. Too bad u in Chi Town and I'm in BK. Damn you rbeauty brightened my day. keep doing ya thing witht he blog too. wish you the best with school. linked u via Zack, he's one of the nation. be sfae cutie

ZACK said...

You wrote:
If you're struggling, just in school with no job, and staying at the parent's house while borrowing their car to get to and fro...what do you bring? ... It disgusts me that the world has become so focused on material, that they ignore substance. More worried about Benjamins instead of IQ points. Sad, sad, sad.

I was worried after the first couple sentences. I AM that nice guy with nothing but talent. I still live at home, while struggling through school and desperately searching for a job. But that's only an iota of what makes me undesirable to today's black woman. Sometimes I think about how Barack Obama was overlooked by sistas. I'm sure Michelle was not his first choice. There were probably some donkey butts that he wanted to "ride" (if ya know whatumsayin, ya dig?) Just kidding!

Maybe I'll end up like Barack. Who knows? But right now, I don't even TRY to ask for a date because it's just not my time. But once I get the job and the apartment, then I'll be the best "clean up man" these ladies have ever seen.

GREAT, GREAT POST!

----
Shout out right back to Marcus "Dos Un" of Highbrid Nation and Ken of Mintsavvy.com! The fellas have been giving me good feedback about you as Spotlight Blog Roller, Ash. I might have to keep you on for 3 extra days! ;)

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

welcome to the blogoverse
u write well
im a writer also u can see my books on my blog
hope u don’t mind the drive by, do chk me out one day

rawdawgbuffalo and if u like what u read, maybe u will come back, even Blog Roll Me

Anonymous said...

Its pretty cool to hear this from a woman, cuz most chicks do put $$$ over IQ, I'm glad u broke down what u mean about what u mean by take care of u cuz most gold diggers use that phrase as an excuse for their gold digging ways cuz they believe money is the only way to take care of them, they will pass up the college guy who stays at home but has ambition and goals for the drug dealer who has long money at the time even though they actually like the college guy more and will try to justify they're decision like "girl guy A couldn't do nothing for me wit the job he had even though I enjoy talkin to him more but guy B driving a Benz, he got his shit together, guy A is a lowlife he still at home" when in reality guy B the real lowlife cuz he to buy other nice shit he need to put it in your name bcuz his income is not legit and u in danger everytime u step out wit him. But its still sum of us good dudes out here that will take care of their woman.

PS- Your demands aren't that overbearing they're realistic, except for the rubbing your feet part(I hate feet...lol) and I don't have a clue what a dragon maki roll is, so I guess I would lack in those departments....lol