Monday, December 15, 2008

I Always Knew that One Day, They'd Try to Bring Me Down

Hey,

So today, I am getting over being sick as a dog. My nose is red from sneezing too much, my head hurts and my throat aches and I'm exhausted from not really sleeping well. Anyway, I have found out that, yet again, I have a hater. I am never against having haters, simply because they motivate me to keep on my everyday hustle, but it always shocks me to find out who is doing the hating. This time, it is one of the people who I never thought would be so against me.

I'm not about to put them on blast, because that's trifling, especially when I have yet to figure out if or how I'd even let them know about themselves, BUT, I write about them because I need to address a trait in myself. I'm loyal. To my friends, my family as well as the people I care about. It's rare for me to go against someone, even if I hear they talk about me like I have a tail. (And that's pretty bad, to me.) BUT, if you talk ish about my mom, I will pretty much call my relationship with you dead and stinking. That's what this person did. They talked ish about my mom AND my dad, which kinda hurts. It stings something terrible since my dad's relationship with me is so complex.

I don't really talk about my dad much. Not to anyone, mainly because my relationship with my dad is so crazy that I barely understand it. First, he's gonna be 80 years old in January. Second, he's suffering from an aggressive form of rheumatoid arthritis, but more importantly, degenerative disease that affects his memory of the long and short term. He will eventually lose the battle with it, and not remember me, my mother or even the events that have occurred in his own life. Add in the fact that he and I are alike in that we are both stubborn, strong-willed and hard to read, as well as not the most tactful or considerate people and we make a pair. However, with my father's condition, and (assuming) the fact that he is aware of the issues that come with it, he has become softer. He has good days and bad, (more good than bad, for now) and his good ones are filled with love, with pride and with genuine kindness. His bad days are when he's the most disapproving, critical and judgmental. He is probably the one person, because he and I are alike in many ways, who can say the exact thing to make me upset. He knows it too, so when he is sad and hurting and wants me to feel the same way, he hurts me with his words. Despite all that, I can say that I do not doubt that my father loves me. In his own way, his occasional disdain for my life is also his silent approval. He has laughed with me, cried with me, and let me sit in his lap, even at 20 years of age.

My father is a sore subject for me, in relation to this person who is talking ish, mainly because they have not met him. They would not even know my father if he walked past them in the street...and yet, they are alluding that my father is the reason I have gotten certain things in my life. My father, who has had very little to do with the choices that I make, who has had his own health problems and other illnesses to deal with, and if he had any influence over me, would have chosen an entirely different set of rules, is now being accused by this person, this stranger, to have been behind a lot of my successes. Oh, how I wish I could say that. Unfortunately, being his child meant that I'd have to walk my own path, without his help or assistance...and yes, he could have assisted a lot. With money, with phone calls, with an email or two, my father could have shaped a different life for me as if it were no big deal. However, I walk my own path.

I realize now that some "friends" aren't friends at all. And if they certain that they truly are in life for good reasons, they are only pretending and may be pretending to themselves as well. Which is even sicker, in my opinion, and is a solid case for psychiatric treatment. I used to say in high school that true friends stab you in the front. A girl I know, who I was close to once and am not anymore, corrected me and said, "True friends don't stab you at all."

She's right.

Thoughts?

*Ashley Robin 

7 comments:

ZACK said...

My biological dad turns 71 tomorrow. So you beat me! :)

GREAT POST!

I'm sorry that somebody did that to you. You are a beautiful person and deserve nothing but the best. So, just keep loving yourself and that is the beginning of even better things to come.

Thanks for letting us in to your life. I don't take information like this for granted. I cherish it.

Anonymous said...

Like TI said " All your hatin is fuel to my fire!" I take that with me everyday. I know your not gonna let it bother you so I won't even tell you that but keep on doin what you are doin.

I agree with Zack, thanks for letting us into your life. I love reading your posts. I feel a connection because I can realate to so many of your posts!

Mister Evans said...

Damn, thats messed up to have someone you know stab you like that... thats messed up but you gotta continue to do you and I know you well enough Ashley that you will and you well continue to have haters at you improve and move higher in life...

Kofi Bofah said...

Sorry about that A.R.

The more that you accomplish - the more that crabs will proliferate to attempt to drag you back into the barrel. This is their standard pitch:

'If I had (what you had), I would be able to (do what you are doing).'

Just ignore these trifling excuses for laziness.

Raquel Pauline said...

I've never understood fully why people would WANT haters in their life, LOL. If even a small amount of our motivation comes from haters then we need to check our priorities.

I believe it sounds better to most people if they say "I've done this on my own"

People like saying they haven't had any help. Believe it or not, we've all been influenced one way or another by our parents.

I don't see anything wrong with giving our parents props for helping us. Your father helped shaped your life by allowing you to be more independent and maybe some of your successes come from your father stepping out of the way and allowing you to create your own path.

Why is it so important for people to disregard what their parents have done for them, so that they can say, "I've done this all on my own"

My question is, What's wrong with your father being behind some of your successes? Hell, that's what parenting is for.

Wouldn't you do everything you can for your own children?

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just saying there are alot of people that would love it if their father/mother would step back and allow them to create their own path

Ashley Robin said...

Maybe I wasn't being clear. This person is saying the only reason I have things is because of my father. Not because I'm smart or capable, but because my daddy picked up a phone and made it so. They are insulting me and my skills, and justifying my accomplishments are the byproduct of who I know, not what I know. As in, if I didn't have my dad calling people, I wouldn't be anything. And to them, because my father called in some favors, I took the spot of someone more capable, i.e. them. Which, given my father's health issues, is far from the truth. What this person is claiming is not parenting, it's more like him controlling my life and me not being independent, which is what I have the issue with.

My father has done a lot by not doing a lot for me, and grudgingly allowing me to make my own mistakes...so this person saying that he's behind everything is insulting to me and my very nature.

Raquel Pauline said...

ok, I get it.

I don't think you should X this person out of your life. We all say dumb shit sometimes, LOL.