Sunday, December 14, 2008

Music Sucks, so it follows that the Grammys would suck too...

Hey,

I never watch the Grammys. I stopped watching when I was much younger, simply because Will Smith was nominated for "Gettin Jiggy With It". Sorry, but that's not rap to me. I was so offended by that alone that I decided I'd never watch a Grammy show again. Due to the fact that I had (and still have) a passion for music, my mom questioned me about it, just yesterday. "If you love music like you do, why WOULDN'T you watch it?" Well, I answered her question by saying something like this, "If they call Will Smith records rap, whereas groups like Talib Kweli, Common, Wu-Tang, etc.. get no love at all...I'm done with it."

Overall the state of music today, sucks. We got Kanye going crazy with the autotune (or just going crazy in general, he seemed completely nuts on SNL and even before then, telling a fan to "Eat shit and die" was a bit extreme despite him throwing a penny at Ye), the emergence of a female wailing about her "Um-berr-ella-ella-ella" and T-Pain, who while adding the autotuner/vocoder craze, also inspired a bunch of drunken anthems. So, watching a show that celebrates the best of crap seems like the last thing I'd want to do. I need good music to be inspired by, and the music industry is okay with giving me garbage. So, I conclude that music needs to be revived. No more "remaking" the oldies, or sampling, but just original ideas. If Bob Marley can make a song comparing revolution to getting ganja from people in the neighborhood, surely someone can come up with an original song idea that appeals to the masses enough that I don't have to search iTunes and other lesser-known sites for it.

I've been listening to a lot of abstract stuff as of late, some French rap (je parle en petit francais) (and yes, I can understand about 65% of it, more as I learn about French slang) and old school stuff. If you have any suggestions about good music, let me know.

Thoughts?

*Ashley Robin*

1 comment:

Kofi Bofah said...

You might enjoy these two, Ms. Robin:

Grammy Nominations - Best Rap Song

A Soulful 2009 Playlist

Hey.

Didn't Tony Parker try to pull off this French rap?

It was Hee - Lar - EEE - Us !