Sunday, November 9, 2008

We All BARAcked the Vote!

this is my artwork of Barack Obama. I'm proud of it and of him.
Hey Everyone,

So the 44th President of the United States has been decided. It is not the Senator from Arizona, John Sidney McCain, but the young Senator from Illinois, Barack Hussein Obama. 

Not only do I take pride in his victory because of his views politically, but because of the legacy and history of his campaign and of the Senator himself. He, like me, is of mixed race, and I look at him with pride and because of him, I can tell my unborn son that anything is possible.

However, the office holds a lot of responsibility, and a lot of pressure is being put on him. People expect him to solve their problems, change their lives, and basically be the cure-all to a lot of things. It's a lot for one man, and he's just that, one man. 

But, in Obama's victory, I realized something. I realized that men, in general, are gonna have to step their 'game' up. I'm no longer interested in a guy with sagging pants, with no life purpose and a mouth full of fronts. (Actually, I never was interested in that to begin with.) I want a guy who feels just as comfortable in a suit as he does in a pair of jeans, and when he does wear jeans, they should be jeans that fit. He should be able to take me to a play, an art exhibit or to a sushi restaurant with no problem. I don't want a dumb guy, so he needs to not only be smart, be ambitious, have a goal, and be willing to be my partner in love, life and family. As Barack described his wife, "the love of my life and my best friend". 

Fellas, now you gotta get on a higher level...a Barack-type of level. (You know he wasn't walking around with his pants sagging at Harvard Law)

Thoughts?

*Ashley Robin*

5 comments:

ZACK said...

I've heard or read that sentiment from black women since the Election results came in. And I'm torn on the subject.

You have some educated brothas who are just as polished as Barry, but not real respectful to women. Then, you have guys like Idris Elba's character in Daddy's Little Girls who get stereotyped by the ladies in a negative light. So, I guess you have to judge people on a case by case basis.

But don't you dare lower your standards, Princess Ashley! That's NOT what I'm saying. But don't write somebody off based on their outer appearance or a couple of flaws. Just analyze more carefully and you'll find a man even better than Barack. He'll have a good balance of nerdiness and thugginess - which is what I'm striving for.

I got the nerd part down pat. Now, I just got to learn how tolerate a doo-rag on my head. (I hate them! They irritate me in my sleep) ;)

GREAT POST!

Ashley Robin said...

well zack,

I know what you mean..and i will keep my eye out for him. Idris Elba was a good guy, and that's what I want more than anything. Prestige and occupation mean little, in comparison to the drive and focus of a person...as a matter of fact, i had a conversation that I'm gonna post on here that reflects the sentiment of what i was posting about...but the guy was a complete asshole....

Kofi Bofah said...

Cool post.

We all need to step up Game - regardless of who the President is. Still, I think that this will happen naturally; as Black America can truly identify with the benefits of diligence.

The glass ceiling has been shattered. The Black Man has achieved the highest office in the land.

David Sullivan said...

Never compromise your ideals.

Zack's got it right, R E S P E C T

Mister Evans said...

Aiight Ashley I figure I'd return to ya page and bless it real fast!!!!

Yeah Obama is making it hard for YBM (Young Black Men) to just sit in the background anymore... WE HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT! HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!!!! WE OFFICIALLY HAVE TOUCHED EVERY SPECTRUM OF THE WORLD! So really its tome for us to stop making excuses (including me) the im in impossible is diminishing & really your only worst enemy is that brother in the mirror you stare at day in and day out...

On That Note... Ernest ... OUT!