Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Workin Up a Black Sweat~

Been forever since I posted, right? Lol, as you can see...I've been busy. I got a new job working for Apple...it's part-time while I'm in school, and part-time during the summer, but it manages to keep me busy. I like the challenges and the work, so far. The perks, are AWESOME. I just went to pick up my laptop...it's a brand new Macbook...and it kicks so much ass. I mean, really. I'm elated to have it. I'm also getting lasik eye surgery on Thursday, at 9am, so bye-bye glasses...hopefully for a long, long, long time. lol. It excites me, knowing that I'll be able to say bye-bye to glasses, and hello to contact sports, swimming, wrestling, all that...

Went to St. Louis, to see a wedding, Phantom of the Opera, my granny's gravesite and her house. Phantom was great, phenomenal actually, the wedding was....interesting, and my granny's gravesite's probably the most tranquil and wonderful place I've ever been to. I didn't want to leave. I just sat beside her, talking to her, telling her everything I could think of, and then when I couldn't think of anymore to say, I just put my arms around her gravestone and laid my face next to the inscription. I've never felt more at peace....and honestly, if St. Louis wasn't such a bummy ass city, I'd move there just so I could feel that on a daily basis. I felt her spirit, essence, life force, whatever the hell you wanna call it...it was there. And it was so soothing....honestly.

After that, we got a reality check when we went on a mad search for her house and found out it had been bulldozed and a strip mall, specifically a Wal-Mart Tire & Lube Express sits where her house used to be. So the place where people go for oil changes, used to be my granny's kitchen. It's kinda sad because I can remember being in that house...vaguely since i was little...helping my aunt and granny make apple pie. Now, it's where brake pads are replaced. Made me sad. I threw a soygurt container at the wall, and ran. LOL, I wasn't trying to get arrested....not in that racist town, but I'll get to that later.

Then, we went to see the Phantom of the Opera, performed by the Broadway cast. Talk about amazing...everyone could sing, was so talented, and beautiful. And the costumes! Talk about fabulous. Everyone that knows me knows I LOVE that opera, it's my favorite, so I was like a little kid watching the whole thing...eyes wide open, jaw hanging down, tongue wagging, drooling...okay, well maybe not drooling, but you get the point. The guy that played the Phantom had the best voice....and he had everyone crying when he sang his reprise of "All I Ask of You", which is the most beautiful song ever. So beautiful in fact, every time I hear it I get a little choked up and find it so perfect that I'm making it my official wedding song. Don't laugh. Listen to it and see what I mean.

After the Phantom, the weekend was pretty much done in St. Louis. We went to brunch at the Puck cafe in the St. Louis Art Museum and got a dose of racism. Not subtle, either...it was pretty blatant. I was kinda upset, because I'm not a mean-looking kinda person..not that it matters, racism in any aspect is horrible...but we ended up tag-teaming the waitress, cussing out the manager and leaving. We ended up having lunch in the Central West End, the Hyde Park-esque neighborhood in St. Louis. Then, it was onto the wedding, which was nice, but not really memorable. The bride and groom were happy, so that was the most important thing....

After that, we came back to Chicago, got a little sick due to all the sun, recooperated, and then Lisa came to visit for the weekend. We ended up going clubbin, hanging out at the beach, getting good food at the Taste, seeing a play at Chi State, and then going to visit my ex. That's always interesting, watching the two of them interact. After she left Sunday, it's been work, work, work and some stuff I had to do for school. Now, I'll be working nonstop until school starts...but hey, I can't complain. I love the challenge. Speaking of which, I gotta go take care of some things before I get to have my lunch of sushi.

Stay positive,
Ashley Robin

P.S.- In two days, well, less than that, actually, because I'll have had it this time Thursday, yours truly will be having Lasik eye surgery. I'm not nervous at all, just looking forward to being rid of my glasses. I'll post throughout Thursday or Friday on how it all went and what my progress and recovery time is so if you're considering it, you'll have a firsthand account.

No comments: