Thursday, February 2, 2006

The Emergence of An Urban SuperHero

Super Woman ain't got shit on ME, neither does Wonder Woman or Bat Woman. LOL.

Here's why.

Today, I'm in the car, getting dropped off at Chicago State by Mama...no big deal. We're driving south on Cottage Grove, headed towards 95th when Mama gets behind a school bus filled with kids. Some of the ones in the back look at us, and of course, me being me, I make faces at them and stuff. I'm doing that, when I see the bus start to look a little weird and I'm suddenly infused with this feeling that something bad is going to happen. I blink my eyes and look again, and just as the light on 87th goes red, I smell smoke coming from the exhaust/tail pipe.

Without thinking, me being the child-lover that I am, I get out of the car, (to my mom's surprise) and bang loudly on the bus door. The bus driver, looking dazed and confused, opens it, and when I tell him there is smoke coming from the bus, what does this mofo do but stop the bus and GET OUT TO LOOK AT IT. I get pissed because the first thing he needed to do was get the kids off, so that's what I decide to do, while he's out looking at the back. I make the kids line up in two lines, and calmly lead them off the bus and to the curb on 87th to safety. Just as the last kid is standing on that corner and the bus driver is walking towards us, looking at me as if he wants to kill me for 'cranking' him, there's a loud boom (yep, you guessed it, an explosion) that comes from the bus and it catches on fire, and black smoke fills the air, coming from the engine area. The police happen to be in the area (of course, it is 87th..lol) and they block it off and an officer comes and takes the kids to Dunkin Donuts (which I kinda found funny) for donuts and milk while they wait for another bus.

Turns out the bus gets burned to a crisp in the front area, basically rendering the front exit useless. Seems like I was just in the nick of time...someone was really looking out from above. Meanwhile, the police ask me a few questions, like what made me think something was wrong and all that. Then, they start calling me a hero and all that sort of stuff, commending me for my 'foresight and extreme bravery'.... I just think that I was doing something anyone else would have done if they'd seen what I saw, especially since kids were involved...I'd want someone to try to protect my kid, y'know? I didn't want anything, I didn't even give them my name, but I made sure to say goodbye to the kids before I left, and headed on my way to classes.

What a way to start the day....

Ashley Robin

No comments: